Bringing Your Tithes
Bringing Your Tithes
Tithing to many people simply means taking one-tenth of their income and giving it to their church. God commands His people to tithe in Malachi and many people are obedient to do so, but too often it can become just another “rule” to follow in order to get God to act on their behalf. True tithing is not done out of a sense of obligation. It is an act of worship to God in response to who He is and for all the good things He does in our lives. It involves much more than just dropping a check into an offering bag. Deuteronomy chapter 26 shows us a pattern of how to tithe in a way which brings honor to God and a release of His blessings upon our lives:
Deuteronomy 26 The Message (MSG)
1-4 Once you enter the land that God, your God, is giving you as an inheritance and take it over and settle down, you are to take some of all the firstfruits of what you grow in the land that God, your God, is giving you, put them in a basket and go to the place God, your God, sets apart for you to worship him. At that time, go to the priest who is there and say, “I announce to God, your God, today that I have entered the land that God promised our ancestors that he’d give to us.”
- Tithing takes the firstfruits. That means the tithe must be the first item in your budget that you set aside, not what is left over at the end of the month
- Next, you “say” … true tithing involves using your mouth; you acknowledge that as a child of God you have entered His Kingdom and have a right to the things He has promised to His children
5-10 And there in the Presence of God, your God, you will recite: 5-10 A wandering Aramean was my father, he went down to Egypt and sojourned there, he and just a handful of his brothers at first, but soon they became a great nation, mighty and many. The Egyptians abused and battered us, in a cruel and savage slavery. We cried out to God, the God-of-Our-Fathers: He listened to our voice, he saw our destitution, our trouble, our cruel plight. And God took us out of Egypt with his strong hand and long arm, terrible and great, with signs and miracle-wonders. And he brought us to this place, gave us this land flowing with milk and honey. So here I am. I’ve brought the firstfruits of what I’ve grown on this ground you gave me, O God.
- As you bring your tithe, it is a good time to think about all that God has done for you – you were a sinner, but now you have been saved by grace. Declare that you are free from your past, and that your future is unlimited because of God’s good Hand upon you.
- Acknowledge that your tithe (which represents your income) is the result of the place (His Kingdom) God has provided for you.
10-11 Then place it in the Presence of God, your God. Prostrate yourselves in the Presence of God, your God. And rejoice! Celebrate all the good things that God, your God, has given you and your family…
- As you remember the goodness of God, bow before Him (in attitude of heart).
- Rejoice and celebrate before God – offer up praises of thanksgiving for His steadfast and unfailing love for you.
15 Look down from your holy house in Heaven! Bless your people Israel and the ground you gave us, just as you promised our ancestors you would, this land flowing with milk and honey.
- Finally, with boldness that comes from having done what was asked by the Lord, end by asking Him to bless you and your family.
- Ask Him to bless the work of your hands.
When you bring your tithes to God in this manner, you are opening the Door of Blessing behind which your heavenly Father stands with an outstretched hand.
Proverbs 3:9-10 GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the first and best part of all your income.
10 Then your barns will be full and your vats will overflow with fresh wine.
- Mission Statement
- Why You Need Jesus
- Why You Need the Baptism of the Holy Spirit
- Prayer to Receive Salvation
- Focus on the Word
- Spiritual Helps
- The Living Word
- What Do You See When You Look at the Shield of Faith?
- How to Get Victory Over Condemnation
- The Old Man is DEAD – D.E.A.D.!
- Crossing Paths Can Make an Eternal Difference
- Is It Easier to Say….?
- How to Increase Your Strength for the Fight
- Don’t Limit God!
- A Dangerous Faith-Buster: Misplaced Expectations
- Patience – the First Responder of the Fruit of the Spirit
- Two Big Questions that Need to be Answered in Your Life
- SEE ARCHIVED ENTRIES